I Feel Free (Cream)

26 DECEMBER 1966


‘I Feel Free’ by the recently-formed rock 'supergroup' Cream entered the British charts during this week in 1966. It reached #11 there, but got no higher than #116 on the US Billboard charts. This was their second single, following on from their atrocious '1920s-pastiche' debut 'Wrapping Paper' (or, as Ginger Baker himself called it, 'the most appalling piece of shit I've ever heard in my life'). 'I Feel Free' was much more like it, effectively showcasing the real talents of the group for the first time. After a distinctive a capella opening, the bass, heavy guitar and drums kick in, and Cream were in business for a two-year career that had a big impact of the serious British rock scene.

B-side: 'N.S.U.'
Recorded: September 1966 at Ryemuse Studios, London
Released: December 1966
Highest chart position: #11 (UK), #116 (US)
Length: 2:49
Label: Reaction Records 591 011 (UK), Atco 6462 (US) 
Writers: Jack Bruce and Pete Brown
Producer: Robert Stigwood


I Feel Free (Cream)