A Groovy Kind of Love (The Mindbenders)

16 MARCH 1966


Manchester band the Mindbenders' first single (as a non-backing group) was ‘A Groovy Kind of Love’ and it was at its peak UK chart position of #2 during this week in 1966. It also reached #2 in the US Billboard chart (and #1 on the Cashbox chart there). Not bad for a band whose lead singer had walked out on them mid-concert just a few months before.

The singer was Wayne Fontana, and until that point his biggest hit with the Mindbenders had been the very good 'Game of Love', which had also reached #2. He left them to pursue a solo career, Shortly afterwards they were offered this song - featuring the still-relatively-new word 'Groovy' - which had been written by Carol Bayer Sager and the 17-year-old Toni Wine.

The Mindbenders didn't have a huge career, but they outsold Fontana. Eric Stewart, the guitarist who took over lead vocals in the band, went on to bigger things with 10CC in the 1970s.

B-side: 'Love Is Good'
Released: 1965
Highest chart position: #2 (UK and US) 
Length: 1:59
Label: Fontana

Groovy Kind of Love (The Mindbenders)

'When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do
Is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue
When you're close to me, I can feel your heart beat
I can hear you breathing near my ear
Wouldn't you agree, baby you and me got a groovy kind of love

Anytime you want to you can turn me onto
Anything you want to, anytime at all
When I kiss your lips, ooh I start to shiver
Can't control the quivering inside
Wouldn't you agree, baby you and me got a groovy kind of love, oh

When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do
Is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue
When I'm in your arms, nothing seems to matter
My whole world could shatter, I don't care
Wouldn't you agree, baby you and me got a groovy kind of love
We got a groovy kind of love
We got a groovy kind of love, oh
We got a groovy kind of love'