Get Off Of My Cloud (The Rolling Stones)

6 JANUARY 1966


The Rolling Stones' single ‘Get Off Of My Cloud’ was still in the UK Top 30. One of my favourite Stones' tracks, mainly because of the excellent rapid-fire drumming, but apparently Keith Richards never thought much of this song, which he felt was rushed out as a follow-up to their classic hit 'Satisfaction'.

Lyrically, it was a typically negative (for the time) Stones' song, and Jagger said that ‘It's a stop-bugging-me, post-teenage-alienation song. The grown-up world was a very ordered society in the early '60s, and I was coming out of it. America was even more ordered than anywhere else. I found it was a very restrictive society in thought and behavior and dress.’

The video performance shown above is from 1965.

B-side: 'I'm Free' (US), 'The Singer Not the Song' (UK)
Recorded: 6–7 September 1965, RCA Studios, Hollywood
Released: 25 September 1965 (US), 22 October 1965 (UK)
Highest chart positions: #1 in UK and US
Length: 2:55
Label: Decca F12263; London 45-LON 9792
Writers: Jagger/Richards
Producer: Andrew Loog Oldham

Get Off My Cloud (Rolling Stones)